PHILADELPHIA, PA — It’s that time of year! School is back in session, Habs training camp has begun (be sure to follow @All_Habs for all the latest camp updates!), football rules the TV on Sundays, and temperatures have started cooling off.
Time to start breaking out the hearty fall recipes we all find some comforting…and what’s better for a day of watching sports than a big bowl of chili, topped with a little sour cream or shredded cheddar cheese. Oh yeah, a side of tasty cornbread of course!
This dish can be quite a controversial one – there’s the traditional red chili, chile verde (a spicier Mexican version using green chiles), white chili (which uses white beans with turkey or chicken), or vegetarian chili. Then there’s the debate over what ingredients are the “proper” ones to be included…beans or no beans? Ground beef or beef cubes? Cincinnati style over spaghetti noodles and topped with onions, beans, and cheese?
There are countless variations to this frontier-style stew, but my favourite is the original red version with ground beef, beans and plenty of seasonings. And I love how one batch of it makes lots of leftovers!
Chili con Carne
Recipe courtesy of “Betty Crocker’s New Cookbook”
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
1 lb. ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. cocoa
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes, with liquid
1 can (15-16 oz.) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup water
1. Cook beef, onion and garlic in large stockpot, stirring occasionally until beef is browned.
2. Stir in remaining chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano and cocoa; allow to simmer for 1 minute.
3. Add remaining ingredients, stir until combined.
4. Heat until boiling, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 – 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve immediately, topped with diced onions, shredded cheddar cheese or a tablespoon of sour cream.
Do you have a favourite recipe you’d like to share with HabsTweetup.com readers? Email email@example.com to be featured in a future edition of Game-Day Meal!
photo credit: www.slowcookertipsandrecipes.com