Tuesday, December 20, 2011
by Amy, HabsTweetup.com (AllHabs.net)
PHILADELPHIA, PA -- Admit it. You're one of those people that bites the heads off of those innocent gingerbread men, aren't you? It's okay, we won't tell. Or perhaps you enjoy indulging your inner architect by spending an afternoon building the world's most elaborate gingerbread house?
Whatever your gingerbread preference, today's recipe is guaranteed to be a hit. Gingersnap cookies tend to be crispy and a little dry, but this version is soft, moist, and chewy - perfect with a glass of milk!
Recipe courtesy of AllRecipes.com
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
3/4 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
Additional sugar for coating dough
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and continue beating until well mixed, then beat in molasses.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Add a small amount at a time to the butter mixture and continue beating until a soft dough forms.
3. Cover and refrigerate the dough for up to 1 hour in order to make the dough easier to handle.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll cookie dough between hands into walnut-sized balls.
5. Roll each dough ball in a bowl filled with additional sugar to coat.
6. Place dough balls on ungreased baking sheet (use parchment paper for easy cleanup).
7. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until puffy and golden brown. Cool for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire baking rack to cool completely.
Be sure to check back tomorrow for our next tasty recipe: Chocolate Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies!
Did you miss one of our previous cookie recipes? Find them here:
Day 1 - Raspberry Ribbons
Day 2 - Almond Kisses
Day 3 - Banana Bread Cookies
Day 4 - Melomakarona
Day 5 - The Original Chocolate Chip Cookie
Day 6 - Chocolate Chip Bites with Salted Caramel Glaze
Day 7 - Apple Cider Snickerdoodles
photo credits: Amy Johnson